Monday, October 31, 2011

Playing with languages, part I

Sometime ago I asked to my friend Charisma why she was studying Italian and she said that she wanted to learn Spanish. I found the answer somehow confusing because the two languages are different. The point is that I missed to understand the main point ;-) You can actually learn and improve a language  if you study different languages.

These days I am enjoying reading  "Seven languages in seven weeks" a book which compares  Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. You can learn things such as Concurrency based on Actors in Ruby, or mixing OO and Functional programming in Scala, higher order programming in Haskel, logic programming in Prolog, having a language based on prototype patterns and messages as in Io, currying and clojures and many other things. Definitively a recommended reading.

The more I read, the more I understand and improve my C++. So Charisma you are right, you can actually study Italian for improving Spanish. It took me a while to understand that.

No comments:

Post a Comment